Friday, May 13, 2011

I am not a mind reader

It's bad enough when customers/clients think I'm a mind reader.

The number of times someone's called and started spewing their life story and what we need to do or did wrong without saying who they are is astounding.  the number of times someone's walked up to the counter and said "I need my refill" without saying anything else confounds me.  Then there are those who say "Did my medicine go through?"

I don't know who you are, what you're taking, and I'm almost certainly never going to, so why don't you just start by giving me your name.  Yes, there are some people I know as soon as I see them, but most of you do not register with my brain when you walk up.

However, it's just as bad when a coworker seems to think you should be able to discern what they mean.

Generally, at my main job, we fill things automatically unless requested otherwise.  To help distinguish this, we put a note that says "fill by request only" or something along those lines so that I know not to automatically fill those prescriptions.  When I go through my report, I look for such notes to help with the process.

So imagine my surprise when I get sequestered as to why I didn't automatically fill Mrs. Dependency's if I had already done my report.  I responded by saying it said fill by nurse's request only.  I then found out that wasn't what it meant and I should've filled them.

Turns out it meant that we were supposed to fill them in one week increments due to a request by the nurse.  The way it was worded though made it sound like it meant something else.

Then again, communication has always been an issue.  If someone's not mumbling, they're not saying anything at all.

Look, if you don't tell me, I don't know.  If you mumble, I don't know.  So speak up and be clear.

K thanks, bye.

No comments: