Wednesday, May 18, 2011

excuse me, have you seen my diazepam?

I always find it interesting when medicine gets lost.  Not because it's impossible for it to happen, but because sometimes it just seems so suspicious and fishy that it doesn't make sense.

For instance, we have a woman who gets all her meds mailed to her.  Every one of them arrives okay except for her Clonazepam.  That one always seems to be the one that's missing.  Then when she comes in to pick it up, she calls saying we shorted her, that we scratched out the quantity (which was actually the other tech's initials that she had double-counted the pills).  So now we can't mail it out to her and we have to count the pills in front of her.

Now another one has lost her Diazepam.  This wouldn't be odd except if she never received the last one we shipped her, she'd be out for 3 weeks.  Anyone here know a patient who takes these type of meds regularly that could go 3 weeks without it?

I didn't think so.

Most people on those types of meds are calling a week before they're supposed to be out screaming that they've run out and that we need to fill it yesterday.  They don't certainly don't wait 3 weeks.  And this one again had received her other meds without a problem.  The Diazepam?  M.I.A.

It just strikes me as odd that she should be out for 3 weeks then, yet she seemed relatively calm about it.  It really makes me think that she did receive it, took more than she should've of, and needed a good cover story.

It just amazes me that it's always the controls that go missing.  You almost never have someone calling saying their Potassium went missing.

I say almost because there's a woman who comes here who loses everything.  Pills, print-outs, it doesn't matter.  She can't find them a week later.  She's been especially bad of late.  I've printed a print-out 3 times for her now because she keeps calling saying she lost it.

Please, if you can't keep track of your meds, find someone who can.

No comments: