Wednesday, May 18, 2011

can't rely on computers for everything

I am the first to admit I've made mistakes.

I've misscounted pills.  I've missread prescriptions or forgotten key pieces of information.  I was notorious for a while for filling stuff under the wrong name.

In every case, I knew I had made a mistake and that it was on me to not make that same mistake in the future.  I knew that the computer wasn't going to recognize the name was wrong, the refills were missing, or the directions somehow ended up in spanish.

It was still up to me to not make those mistakes.

Sure, all the fancy technology we have is nice.  We can track inventory (not very well), some pharmacies have accuracy scans that have to be done before you can count the pills, and pharmacists have 17 steps they have to perform before they can put the bag in the waiting bin.

Not everything can be checked by a computer though.  Sure, you can verify the script was typed correctly, but you can still put the bottle into someone else's bag.  You can still accidentally give someone the wrong bag at the register.  These things can't be automated by computers.  This is up to the person at the station to get it right.

What's dangerous to me is the reliance on computers.  Sure, it's nice to have that safeguard in place because people do make mistakes, but at what point is it too much?  At what point do we become so complacent that instead of being sure we've accurately checked the script, we just toss the bottles in the bag, throw it in the bin, and don't think twice because the computer didn't sound an alarm at you?

You still need to pay attention to what you're doing and take pride in being accurate.  I've known far too many people who upon making a mistake, blame it on the computer or say that their should be something to stop you from making that mistake.

Well, there is.  It's you.  Be accountable for whatever mistake you made and stop trying to look for shortcuts.  Stop trying to pass the blame on to the computer and realize that YOU were the one who messed up.

I don't go bitching at the computer when I make a mistake.  I get mad at myself for making that mistake in the first place.  I own up to the mistake, not look for a way to pass the blame on.

Look, we're lucky to have automation and scanning and all the other fancy things we have to help us in our jobs.  But we still need to take pride in what we do and do the job correctly.  Mistakes will always be a part of it, but we should be able to learn from those mistakes and move forward, not add another function to our already taxed computers.

Besides, too much reliance on computers and next thing you know, the Terminator movies will be documentaries, not far-fetched stories.

No comments: